Information on Life at Akita University
Apartment Information

There are many private apartments for students near the Akita University campus. Usually, the rooms are not furnished with furniture or appliances, but some of them are. Private apartments can be found at the University Co-op or real estate agencies (Hereinafter referred to as "real estate agencies"), so please contact the real estate agencies directly to find an apartment of your choice. Since some real estate agencies only provide services in Japanese, we recommend that you have someone who speaks Japanese and understands the situation in Japan accompany you when looking for an apartment and signing a contract.

Click here for the Akita University Co-op website (Japanese only)

Click here for the Akita University Co-op's private apartment search page (you can check detailed property information) (Japanese only)

Steps to Move into an Apartment

Searching Room

Visit a real estate agency and tell them your requirements, then they will provide you with room information. In some cases, online consultation is available.

Touring Properties

In the presence of the real estate agent, you visit rooms and decide which room you will sign a contract for. Make sure to confirm the furniture and appliances that you will need to purchase.

Signing a Lease

Prepare the necessary documents and submit them to the real estate agency. Check the details of the contract carefully before signing and sealing the lease.


You may need to apply for electricity, gas, and water before moving in. After moving in, please live according to the rules.

Please refer to the following website for a guidebook that provides information in multiple languages on renting a private apartment in Japan, from "searching a room" to "signing a lease," "regulations during occupancy," and "moving out".

"Guidebook for Tenants" (Website of the National Federation for Real Estate Transaction Associations)

Points to Keep in Mind when Signing an Apartment Contract

Cost of apartment lease

When signing a lease, carefully check the costs involved in the contract. You may be required to pay an initial fee equivalent to 2-3 months' rent in total, including a deposit and key money, at the time of contract.

Rent This is the money paid monthly for a room. Rent varies depending on the area, the newness of the room, and the facilities, etc. In the area around the Akita University campus, an apartment with a 10 square meters room, a kitchen, bath, and toilet costs around 30,000 yen per month. Pay monthly
Common service fee This is the money paid to cover administrative and cleaning costs for the common areas of the apartment. It is paid monthly along with the rent. In some cases, it is included in the rent. Pay monthly
Deposit This is the money paid as collateral at the time of signing the contract. It is used in case of nonpayment of rent or damage to the room or fixtures. When you move out, you will get the amount of the deposit back, minus the cleaning and repair costs.
*There are some properties that do not require a deposit.
Pay at the time of contract
Key money This is the money paid to the landlord at the time of signing the lease. It is not returned when you move out.
*There are some properties that do not require key money.
Pay at the time of contract
Brokerage fee This is the money paid to the real estate agency at the time of signing the lease. It is not returned when you move out.
*There are some properties that do not require brokerage fee.
Pay at the time of contract
Guarantee commission This is the money paid when using a rental guarantee company.
*If you use the service provided by a rental guarantee company.
Pay at the time of contract

Guarantor for apartment contract

When signing an apartment lease, sometimes a "joint guarantor" ("guarantor") is required. A guarantor is a person who assumes the obligation to pay rent on behalf of the tenant in the event that the tenant becomes unable to pay rent. It is common to have a relative or acquaintance assume this responsibility. In addition, you will need to find a guarantor who meets the conditions (e.g., resides in Japan) of the contract. If there is no one willing to take on the responsibility, you can use the service provided by a rental guarantee company to sign a contract without a guarantor. The guarantee fee to use this service varies depending on the rental guarantee company, but is expected to be approximately 80% of the monthly rent. For details, please inquire with the real estate agency you use.

*Akita University had been acting as a guarantor for international students moving into private apartments, etc., in order to alleviate the difficulty of finding a guarantor, on the condition that they enroll in the "Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan". However, the service had been terminated at the end of January, 2024.

Emergency contact information for apartment contracts

When using a rental guarantee company when signing an apartment lease, you may be asked to provide "emergency contact information”. Akita University handles "emergency contact information" as follows.

Step 1: First, "(1) Ask a relative or acquaintance in Japan".
Do not make the request directly to a faculty or staff member of Akita University.

Step 2: If (1) is difficult to secure, "Consult with the International Affairs Division".
Please be sure to contact the International Affairs Division, as we will only be your emergency contact if you understand that you must use the apartment properly, respect the apartment rules, and be honest with the management company if there is significant dirt or damage when you move out.

Purchasing liability insurance

When you sign an apartment lease, you may be required to purchase liability insurance. This insurance is designed to cover damages to the landlord in the event of damage to the room or fixtures caused by fire, water leakage, etc. The real estate agency you use may provide you with information on insurance, but there are also cases where insurance you have or plan to have elsewhere may meet the contractual requirements, so please check carefully on your own.
Below are the insurance policies including "Renter's Liability Coverage" that Akita University and the University Co-op offer.

Category Name of Insurance Tenant Liability Coverage Procedures
Handled by Akita University Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with "Gakkensai" (You need to choose a plan that covers "tenant liability.")
for International Students
*Need to purchase the Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research ("Gakkensai").
*Compensation and premiums can be found here.
Up to 10 million yen per accident
(without settlement negotiation service)
After enrolling in Gakkensai at the Student Support Division (in charge of student life), complete the procedures yourself through the dedicated website.
Handled by the University Co-op

Personal Liability Insurance for Students (With special clause for persons living alone)
*Need to join a Co-op membership (for a fee).
*Compensation and premiums can be found here. (Japanese only)

Up to 10 million yen per accident
(with settlement negotiation service)
Complete the procedures at Akita University Co-op.

*The above insurances cover not only damages to apartments, but also liability in all aspects of daily life. In Akita Prefecture, bicycle drivers are required by ordinance to have "Bicycle Liability Insurance", and these are also equivalent to it.

Points to Keep in Mind in an Apartment

  • Please make sure to pay the rent and common service fee agreed upon the contract by the due date.
  • No shoes allowed in the Japanese apartment. Please take off your shoes at the entrance when entering the house.
  • Noise can cause problems with neighbors. Be careful not to make loud voices or noises, especially at night.
  • There are rules on how to dispose of garbage. Please separate garbage according to Akita City rules and dispose of it at the designated place on the designated day of the week.
  • Do not pour food scraps or oil directly down the kitchen drain or toilet. They will clog the drains and cause foul odors and water leaks.
  • Depending on the condition of the room when you move out, you may be charged a hefty fee to restore the room to its original condition. Please keep in mind to clean the room and use it neatly from the time you move in, and avoid making it dirty or damaging it.

Procedures Required when Moving out of an Apartment

Once you have decided to move out of your apartment, please follow the necessary procedures according to the documents listed below.
Please also refer to it for information on the procedures to be taken if you are returning to your country or moving to another apartment.

Procedures to be followed by those moving out private apartmentsPDF

Special care should be taken when vacating an apartment.


Please inform the real estate agency of your expected move-out date at least one month prior to moving out. (Some contracts may have an even earlier deadline.)


On move-out day, the room should be free of all of your household goods. You should either move them to your new residence or dispose of them and clean the room.


Ensure that you complete the necessary move-out procedures. Never leave a room without completing the necessary procedures.